The Stihl FS94R is one of the most robust commercial string trimmers on the market. It is a famous name brand associated with power and quality. As a user of Stihl string trimmers, through our review and hands-on experience, the Stihl FS94R is one of the weed eaters that are dominant in the line-up.
Table of Contents
The Stihl FS94R is compared to its previous series in the loop handle string trimmers, the Stihl FS91R. There are 12 commercial weed eaters in the line-up, but it is best to show the differences between closely resembling products. The Stihl FS94R and the FS91R have robust engines, but the FS91R has more horsepower.
The weight limit is where the FS94R has the other one beat because it is lighter. Below are the differences between the specs and features.
|Specs||Stihl FS94R||Stihl FS91R|
|Engine Power||1.2 bhp||1.27 bhp|
|Displacement||24.1 cc||28.4 cc|
|Weight||10.1 lbs.||12.1 lbs.|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
- 24.1cc engine displacement
- 0.9 kW (1.2 bhp) in power
- 4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.) in weight
- Fuel capacity of 18.3oz.
- 28.4cc engine displacement
- 0.95 kW (1.27 bhp) in power
- 5.8 kg (12.8 lbs.) in weight
- Fuel capacity of 24.0 oz.
Stihl FS94R also does not have the features such as a tool-free handle adjustment, the IntelliCarb compensating carburetor, or the optional bike handle. The FS91R is a bit different and has these features and specs listed in their comparison.
These features make the Stihl FS94R unique for those who do not need as much horsepower but still love the basics of what Stihl offers. I find the features make the string trimmer easier to use with the added comfort.
- Environmentally Friendly with low exhaust emissions that are less than EPA and CARB exhaust emission standards
- Made in America is the proud label that stands out above the rest.
- A comfortable shoulder strap for easy carrying offers less fatigue for the user.
- The fully lined drive shaft offers less vibration with smooth operation.
- High-Tech Polymer Housing makes the weed eater lightweight and is corrosion resistant.
- A protected choke lever prevents damage to the knob.
- A lock for the throttle trigger allows for cruise control. The Interlock safety must be pressed for this feature to work.
- Easy to remove air filter cover for easy access
- Secure control cables that are enclosed to prevent wire damage
- Adjustable front handle
- The handle is also made of rubber and a loop handle to offer a better grip and control.
- The multifunction control handle has all the controls in one spot, so the hand never leaves the handle.
- The clutch is heavy-duty steel on steel design that helps to reduce slippage.
- Secured Spark Arrestor Muffler minimizes the noise level, emissions, and sparks.
- A vertical transparent fuel tank allows for easy fuel up and checking the fuel level.
- Purge pump primer to remove air from fuel lines and carburetor
The specs listed below show why the Stihl FS94R may favor the lineup due to the weight over the rest.
- Engine Displacement: 24.1cc (1.47 cubic inches)
- Power: 0.9 kW (1.2 bhp)
- Weight: 4.6 kg (10.1 lbs.)
- Fuel capacity of 18.3 oz. (540cc)
- Cutting swath of 16.5 inches (41.91cm)
- Gas engine
The Stihl FS94R has plenty of power to cut through thick and tall grass. The cruise control can keep the power at total capacity while cutting. This technology also adds stability to keep up with any person's stamina to cut.
- Engine Displacement: 24.1cc (1.47 cubic inches)
- Horsepower: 1.2bhp (0.9kW)
- The engine runs on gas.
Two things stand out above the rest when talking about this string trimmer. Made in the USA and the material listed below offers the highest quality parts for durability a long-lasting tool.
- It has a fully lined driveshaft to lessen the vibration while in full throttle.
- It has a high-tech polymer housing that supports and protects the engine, wires, and small parts from the engine to the carburetor.
- There is a protected spark arrestor muffler that keeps fires from starting.
- The air filter cover is also worthy of mentioning as it protects the air filter compartment and the air filter with easy access for changing the filter.
Earlier, we mentioned the weight of the string trimmer was 4.6 kg or 10.1 pounds. It is compared with other weed eaters as a medium weight capacity or average, which is 10-12lbs. There is not much difference in the power of the Stihl FS94R compared to the FS91R. They cut pretty much the same, but the weight of 2.7 pounds less may throw this string trimmer over the top in my favorite lists. A 2.7-pound difference can make a world of difference at the end of the day for commercial users.
Pros / Cons
There are good and bad points to touch base on when it comes to the Stihl FS94R. These are some of what we noticed to deliver the perfect Stihl FS94R review.
- Robust, reliable, and durable
- Lightweight for a commercial grade
- Great customer service
- If properly maintained, it can last a long time, 5-7 years lifespan, if not more.
- Easy to maintenance
- Excellent warranty
- Little to no vibration
- Usually starts on the first crank.
- Easy to maneuver with the handle and straight shaft
- Fuel efficiency is excellent standards and fewer emissions for the environment.
- In some situations, there may not be enough power, especially with the brush cutter attachments.
- Some reports state the defects in the starting assembly. This may be a manufacturer defect more than the cons of the string trimmer. Compared to the other FS90 series, this seems to be a problem.
- The pull rope is a bit harder to pull start. Some complaints of a weak rope that breaks often.
There is a two-year warranty on the string trimmer. Compared to other commercial weed eaters, it is a better benefit than others. A one-year warranty is what most manufacturers offer on commercial grades.
|Performance:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Weight:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Durability:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Comfort:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Price:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Overall:||(4.4 / 5)|
The Stihl FS94R is a fairly expensive string trimmer, but the price can be justified because of its great features and durability.
Wrapping It Up
This string trimmer is reliable and durable for commercial and residential use. The Stihl FS94R is a string trimmer with all the features, specs, and everything in between that is needed to get the job done fast and efficiently.
What Do You Think?
Are you planning to get the Stihl FS94R? Let us know in the comments!
If you’re interested in staying up-to-date on reviews of the latest mowers sign up for our newsletter below!