Cub Cadet is taking a leap of faith into the stand on mower market. At GIE 2019, they released the new Pro X stand on mower. You may be thinking… “What? A Cub Cadet stand on??” Right, they are known for residential products. However, this machine at first glance, seems to be a solid machine.
Table of Contents
Cub Cadet Pro X Lineup
|Mower||Pro X 636||Pro X 648||Pro X 654||Pro X 660|
|Engine||Kawasaki FS600V||Kawasaki FX691V||Kawasaki FX801V||Kawasaki FX801V|
|Drive System||Hydro-Gear PK 12 cc pumps and Parker TL 240cc wheel motors||Hydro-Gear PK 12 cc pumps and Parker TL 240cc wheel motors||Hydro-Gear PK 12 cc pumps and Parker TL 240cc wheel motors||Hydro-Gear PK 12 cc pumps and Parker TL 240cc wheel motors|
|Speed||8.5 mph||10 mph||10 mph||10 mph|
|Fuel Capacity||6 Gallons||7.5 Gallons||7.5 Gallons||7.5 Gallons|
|Deck Type||10 ga shell w/ 7 ga top & bottom reinforcement||10 ga shell w/ 7 ga top & bottom reinforcement||10 ga shell w/ 7 ga top & bottom reinforcement||10 ga shell w/ 7 ga top & bottom reinforcement|
|Spindle Type||5″ Cast Aluminum||8″ Aluminum||8″ Aluminum||8″ Aluminum|
|Warranty||2-year unlimited hour||3-year unlimited hours and 5-year/1,750 hour deck warranty||3-year unlimited hours and 5-year/1,750 hour deck warranty||3-year unlimited hours and 5-year/1,750 hour deck warranty|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Let's compare Cub Cadet Pro X Stand On with the Ferris Z2 and Wright ZK stand on mowers, which are its top competitors. All of these mowers are highly capable mowers, with powerful engines and quality cut results. Even the prices are more or less the same, highly depending on which exact model and motor you get.
I personally prefer Ferris over Wright due to its fabulous suspension in the standing platform, which provides the smoothest ride and for its two-position PTO feature, which I see as a major time saver. Moreover, Ferris Z2 and Z3X are without a doubt one of the best mowers I've worked with.
However, with the Cub Cadet Pro X, the Ferris may be given a run for it's money. The smoothness of the ride is even better and I really love the compactness of this powerful mower. Ultimately, it may come down to personal preference for these machines.
Check out how this mower stacks up against the top stand on mowers in the industry.
Cub Cadet Pro X is available with four models: PRO X 660, PRO X 654, PRO X 648 and PRO X 636.
The first two (54″ & 60″ decks) both come with a commercial-grade 25.5 HP Kawasaki FX801V (852 cc) engine, which is the same engine that can be found in Ferris Z2 (alternative option is slightly stronger Vanguard 810 EFI).
The PRO X 648 (48″ deck) is powered by a commercial-grade 22 hp Kawasaki FX691V (726 cc) engine. This is the same engine as the comparable Ferris Z1. The Wright Stander X has the FX730E, so a little more power and EFI.
The new PRO X 636 (36″ deck) features the Kawasaki FS600V 18.5 hp engine.
All three Cub Cadet Pro X models are equipped with Parker® TL 240cc wheel motors that deliver a quick response to the drive wheels and smooth control for cutting speeds up to 10 mph when going forward and 5 mph in reverse.
Cub Cadet Pro X main features are:
- High-performance commercial Hydro-Gear® PK 12cc pumps/240cc Parker® wheel motors(all three models)
- A fully fabricated 60-inch/54-inch/48-inch (PRO X 660/654/648)10-gauge steel commercial deck shell with top bottom and side reinforcements
- standard 24″ tires give you more ground clearance to easily hop on curbs.
- 3-year limited commercial warranty (no hour limitations) and 5-year/1,750-hour limited deck assembly warranty.
- Fuel tank Capacity: 8 gal
- Lubrication: Full – Spin On
- Deck material: 10-gauge steel
- Weight: 1,115/1,080/1,015 (PRO X 660/654/648)
- Dimensions (L/W/H): (69″ / 74″ / 62″) / (69″ / 68″ / 56″) / (69″ / 62″ / 50″) (PRO X 660/654/648)
- Brakes: Hand lever control / external band
Cub Cadet Pro X cut quality is in the same range as either of Ferris Z2 or Wright ZK. However, as it is a new model, a significantly smaller amount of testing has been performed. Thus far it has shown great cutting results and the deck has performed very well even in overgrown situations.
- Cutting Height Range: 1-1/2″ – 5″ (PRO X 660 & 654) and 1 – 5″ in 1/4 increments (PRO X 648)
- Anti-Scalping: 4 front deck gauge wheels (PRO X 660 & 654) and 2 front deck gauge wheels (PRO X 648)
- Blade(s): Three 21″/19″/17″ (PRO X 660/654/648) long high-lift Marbain blades with 1-1/2″ of blade overlap
- Deck Construction: 10 ga shell w/ 7 ga top & bottom reinforcement
- Deck Engagement (PTO): Electronic with quick reset (PRO X 660 & 654); electronic (PRO X 648)
- Deck cutting width: 60″/54″/48″ (PRO X 660/654/648)
- Spindle Construction: HD 8″ aluminum housing, 35mm double-row sealed ball bearings, 1-3/8″ through-shaft and maintenance-free design
When it comes to Cub Cadet Pro X comfort is really impressive. A large, fully adjustable suspension platform allows you to adjust the tension and glide comfortably through tough terrains. Its lean-on padding is also very comfortable.
The ease of adjustment on the platform is a huge plus. The control bar is also adjustable to change the maximum speed. Both of these are little things that improve the overall comfort and convenience of this machine.
If you hate the yellow color, then Cub Cadet Pro X might not be for you. Other than that, it has a very beefy, compact, and manly look. It is similar appearance to the Wright mowers.
Build quality is really high and should last for years even on the toughest terrains. Its compact design makes it super tough. Only time will tell for the overall durability of this machine, but as of now, it appears to be a great machine.
Safety has been a big concern in the past, as such all new models implement basically all existing features to make the machinery as safe as possible. I felt very safe standing on the platform. The padding's sides help you stay in center position even on a slope.
Pros / Cons
- Great Price
- Suspension platform
- Compact design
- Easy/Light Deck Adjustment
- Competitive Warranty
- Small Fuel Tank
- Slightly underpowered/limited engine options
- Slow for 60″ unit
|Performance:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Cut Quality:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Durability:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Comfort:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Price:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Overall:||(4.1 / 5)|
The price tags given on the Cub Cadet's official site are: $9,499 / $8,999 / $8,499 (PRO X 660/654/648). Check the official price here… they have been running 15% discounts at the time of this post.
Wrapping It Up
In my opinion, Cub Cadet Pro X is really amazing piece of machinery. This professional stander mower possesses some amazing features and provides great cutting results. It really stands out when it comes to its compactness and ability to absorb impact unlike any other in its class.
What do you think?
Have you had the chance to try this mower yet? What are your thoughts? Leave them in the comments section below!
If you’re interested in staying up-to-date on reviews of the latest mowers sign up for our newsletter below!